Happy Spring! Both trips to the Mojave Desert are full, the trip in May to the wonderful country of Bhutan is also full, the fund raising hoop class at my house is still open. In June both trips to Pantanal and Amazon Basin in Brazil are full, the Farallon Island trips August 4 and August 11 still have room, the September 15-17 Natural History/Natural Mystery trip at The Cedars in Sonoma County is full, and one 2018 Tanzania/Serengeti trip is full but the other still has a little room.
The next trip to Ecuador – the Highlands, the Galapagos, and the rain forest – is scheduled for January 2019. But next year I will be returning to Bhutan, Brazil and Palau and Yap. I’m trying to wind down my travel schedule, apparently unsuccessfully.
If you have never seen the Lake Berryessa spillway (known affectionately as the ‘glory hole’) in full spill mode, here’s your chance — after 10 years of low rainfall when the lake level was not high enough to produce the spectacular scene. even better than a waterfall!! I saw it in 2006, and it was really something, like a black hole sucking the water down. Now, of course, there are drone views…
In August 1977 I rode my Honda 350 motorcycle from East Tennessee to Marin County–though I did not know my destination at the time–across this landscape, and I camped at Palouse Fall. I returned 2 years later to Washington State to watch a total solar eclipse. And this is when I first learned of this remarkable flood–the scale is almost unimaginable. Don’t forget there is another eclipse coming along almost the same path this August 21!
For my local friends there are a couple of wonderful fundraising activities coming up that I would like to share with you. On 3/27 there are Brews and Blues to fight Multiple Sclerosis at the Lagunitas Brewing Company. I’m also raising money for my MS walk on April 23rd in Santa Rosa. We will be gathering the evening before at my house in Santa Rosa for pizza and convivial times. I really hope you can join us. See the message below from my sweet friend Kyra.
Hello Potential TEAM KYRA Mates!
As you know, I have multiple sclerosis (MS) and I’m working for the National MS Society to raise money so that no one ever has to be diagnosed again, and all of us living with it get better, and none of us will worry the very real possibility of progressing mental and/or physical disability any more. So, I’m asking you to donate and/or join TEAM KYRA today. This year, we’ll be in Santa Rosa – and it’ll be FUN!
1. We are having a TEAM KYRA pizza party at the home of co-captain Michael Ellis in Santa Rosa on the evening of April 22nd from 6-9 pm. Team Kyra members will rally for a cause with cheese please – ask your friends to register for & donate to TEAM KYRA here.
2. The Brews & Blues kickoff party will be a hoot at Lagunitas Brewery (1280 N. McDowell Blvd) in Petaluma on Monday, March 27th from 5:30-8:30 pm. Delicious Mexican food, a live blues band, lots of raffle items, and proceeds go to the team that shows up with the most guests. Will that be TEAM KYRA??? I hope so – come on down! $10 entry fee.
3. We are running a March Madness fundraising competition and Team Kyra has made it to Round Three. Will we be the winner? With your help, yes!
4. Walk MS: Santa Rosa Logistics
· Date: Sunday, April 23, 2017 (register as a virtual walker, even if you can’t make it!)
· Time: Check in opens at 8AM, Walk MS starts at 9AM
· Location: Maria Carrillo High School, 6975 Montecito Blvd.
· Walk MS Santa Rosa GOAL: $95,286